Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Blog Swap: MCM Mama Runs (Beer Expert)

As part of the Elf for Health challenge, I am participating in a Blog Swap. I am excited to welcome Erika and her expertise at enjoying beer while living a fit and healthy lifestyle. Make sure you check out the link up and Erika's blog.

Hi! I'm Erika and I blog over at MCM Mama Runs. Thanks to Becki for letting me take over her blog for a day. I'm not sure I'm an expert at anything, but I'm really good at a lot of things. Need to run a lot of miles without getting injured? I can tell you what not to do. (Mostly because I've done it.) Need to survive for years on very little sleep? BTDT. Want to convince your non-running spouse that traveling the US to go to races is a good idea? OK, maybe I am an expert at that one. But the one thing I'm REALLY good at is meshing my need to run with my love of a good beer. I know when you think "healthy eating", you immediately think beer can't be a part. And if you are strict Paleo, you are right. But I'm a big believer in everything in moderation. (Pounding yellow beer at a party is NOT moderation.) So how do I make beer a part of my healthy lifestyle?
  • I'm picky. If I don't like it, I don't drink it. If there's no beer available that I like, I'm perfectly happy choosing water.
  • I make it the end of exercise. I run races that offer beer at the end. I do runs that end at a bar with friends. Harpoon_Brewery
  • I sample. Most brewpubs offer "samplers". You can split the whole thing amongst two or more or you can ask for fewer numbers of samples. (A lot of places will sell you a single sample, even if it isn't listed on the menu.)
samplers
  • I make it social. We go to a lot of events that focus on beer, but for me, it's also about the people. You think the running community is awesome? The craft beer community is amazing. And the cross section of the two is actually quite large.
Deschutes_brewery_dude
  • I make it a treat. I don't drink every night and I very seldom have more than a beer when I do drink. If I want a beer, I don't have dessert and vice versa. (I'll be the first to admit that sometimes a chocolate dessert and a dark beer are just.the.thing.)
Life is too short to live by strict eating and exercising rules. I firmly believe in allowing room in your diet for "fun". Beer makes me happy. Running makes me happy. Getting to have both in my life? Perfection. I'm a mom of two boys, living, running, and drinking in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I'm currently on a quest to run a race in every state. I just completed my goal of running 13 half marathons in 2013 and will shortly be moving on to 14 half marathons in 2014. Come join me on social media where I talk about beer, running too much, and the antics of my crazy children. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mcmmama Twitter: http://twitter.com/mcmmama Instagram: http://instagram.com/mcmmama Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/mcmmamaruns G+: http://plus.google.com/+MCMMama

2 comments:

  1. I really like this attitude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, thanks for sharing, Erika! I totally agree that the cross section of craft beer aficionados and runners is a big one. I know I belong in both camps! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think!