Hi! I'm Erika and I blog over at MCM Mama Runs. Thanks to Becki for letting me take over her blog for a day. I'm not sure I'm an expert at anything, but I'm really good at a lot of things. Need to run a lot of miles without getting injured? I can tell you what not to do. (Mostly because I've done it.) Need to survive for years on very little sleep? BTDT. Want to convince your non-running spouse that traveling the US to go to races is a good idea? OK, maybe I am an expert at that one. But the one thing I'm REALLY good at is meshing my need to run with my love of a good beer. I know when you think "healthy eating", you immediately think beer can't be a part. And if you are strict Paleo, you are right. But I'm a big believer in everything in moderation. (Pounding yellow beer at a party is NOT moderation.) So how do I make beer a part of my healthy lifestyle?
- I'm picky. If I don't like it, I don't drink it. If there's no beer available that I like, I'm perfectly happy choosing water.
- I make it the end of exercise. I run races that offer beer at the end. I do runs that end at a bar with friends.
- I sample. Most brewpubs offer "samplers". You can split the whole thing amongst two or more or you can ask for fewer numbers of samples. (A lot of places will sell you a single sample, even if it isn't listed on the menu.)
- I make it social. We go to a lot of events that focus on beer, but for me, it's also about the people. You think the running community is awesome? The craft beer community is amazing. And the cross section of the two is actually quite large.
- I make it a treat. I don't drink every night and I very seldom have more than a beer when I do drink. If I want a beer, I don't have dessert and vice versa. (I'll be the first to admit that sometimes a chocolate dessert and a dark beer are just.the.thing.)