- I really do hate being cold, and as pretty as the snow is at my house in the mountains most time the snow turns to ice and is just stuck there, almost like a death trap awaiting it's next victem. It makes running outside complicated and well I'm from Hawaii it should be expected that I hate anything lower than 50 degrees.
- I hate having to plan and be with one set of people but being away from others. I'm close with my boyfriend's family so that totally stinks, and it's also strange because I spend 3/4ths of the year with my sisters at college but then don't get to see them over the holidays. Sometimes it seems like someone ends up let down.
- Getting too caught up in what the holiday's are not about. I'm not going to get into the whole religious affiliations and what not, but I think most people know what I mean. Too many gifts, not enough Christmas spirit. And hey if you don't know what I'm talking about then I really need to be more like you.
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
I'll have to make this kinda snappy, 2 hour long yoga starts pretty soon. I didn't get a chance to update yesterday so I'm going to squish days 7 & 8 together.
Day 7: Favorite DIY craft; all-right let's just set one thing straight. I am not very good at crafting but for the holiday's I did use to make an advent box. Now however they are currently being massed produced, but they used to look like this...
They are actually a beer box covered with wrapping paper, and a gift bag cut in half with slits cut out of it. Each hole has a number and you get to open one every day from December 1st-December 24th!
Crafting for gifts is always fun and a good money saver, especially being in collage. Everyone likes to get things with their initials on them, and puffy paint and iron on are a sorority girls best friend. Frames are also easy and so fun to personalize with paint, embellishments or just the photos you put inside. If you really want to win someone over monogram is always the best way to go, but that can get pricey and probably doesn't fall in the category of crafty.
Day 8: My least favorite things about the holidays
I think that's all for tonight. I have 2 finals left and then I'll be home for a whole month. I'm looking forward to not having any work hanging over my head, and I'll be one month closer to finding out about Grad school stuff.
Happy Hump Day <3>
Monday, December 6, 2010
I didn't really think I'd make a post today, but I have opted out of traveling far to watch the Patriots game. Although now that I've written that I realized my beloved will probably read it and remember how unimpressed he was with my lack of support for his favorite team. I love the Bronco's and well seeing as how they just fired their coach today, we'll just have to see how that all works out.
Moving forward, here's today's challenge: Making A Gift List, although I have already done this on a previous random day I'll reiterate some things I've been dreaming of. But I need nothing.
- Yoga pants- I need warm clothes to keep battling the cold to keep up my 4 miles.
- Target Sports Bras
- Extension cord/ New battery for my Mac Computer
- New gloves and head band for running
- Necklaces and accessories (I know these are hard to pick for others so I will happily accept gift cards)
- Chocolate Sheets
- Green water purifier
- New sweaters (these also fall in the category of gift cards lol)
- New sneakers ( I don't exactly need these, but I love the NikeFree I believe is what they are called.
That's all for now. My yoga instructor has kicked up the intensity in our class and I'm currently in pain and can't tell if it's from my 4 mile run and lift this morning, or the longest hour of my life in hot yoga. More to come tomorrow!
Sunday, December 5, 2010
I've been dying to get one here and complete the rest of the challenges but just haven't had the time. My hunny came home last night and my fingers are crossed that we go to Grad school either together or verrry close because I missed him while he was gone and it was only 4 days!
Day 3: Most Meaningful/Best gift: Well I know when I was little that I absolutely adored my Barbie Jeep. For top gift under the age of 10 I think that might be it, and in the tween ages I believe it was a neon green boom box. We may have called them CD players back then, but I got that and my first CD. NSYNC Christmas! In the past few years Christmas's have gotten smaller but it's always the thought that counts. The gift that might top it all was my trip to the Bahama's last year for Christmas. Everyone thought it was crazy that we didn't do gifts, but for me I got time. 10 days to do anything we wanted on a little island in the middle of no where.
Day 4: Tricks to Bargain Shopping- Hmm well I haven't been a shopper for nearly as long as some other bloggers but
- I have noticed that come December 15th the prices drastically drop because those stores have to move their merchandise before Christmas.
- If at all possible wait until after Christmas for the silly stuff because for sure that's also going to be on sale.
- Don't turn your nose up at consignment stores, you can find great buys and alot of times things still have the tags on them!
- Always make a list! There is nothing worse then getting into the mall and realizing that you infact don't want to buy anyone on your list clothes or shoes...
Day 5: Favorite Holiday Movie/ TV Show- I've never really been a movie girl but I did enjoy How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street. I don't get to watch alot of TV but per Phineas and Ferb being a show loved by Bran I'm sure I will laugh at their Christmas episode.
Yay! All caught up. Sorry it's slightly stuffed.
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Okay so keeping with the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge , the next topic is Black Friday tips. I know, I know I'm way behind with this challenge but hey I figured I started on December 1st so that's gotta count for something right.
Onto Black Friday. This was only my second year in participating in it. Trina (Bran's mom) took me for my first time last year and while I hate it when it's actually happening, it's such a hoot to look back on I had to go again this year. We had bigger and better plans this year, but didn't do as well as had hoped. I'm thinking next year will be the best yet because now I've done the mall scene as well as the big stores (Wal*Mart etc.) so I'll be able to better judge what and where to be.
When doors open at 10pm, really you should have been camping in the freezing cold since around 6 if you have any desire to actually get the netbook for 77 dollars. This was the point I realized this event was serious. You have to remember in Hawaii we didn't do these kinds of things, the Island I lived on only had 2 Wal*Marts in the first place, and they were over 5 hours away from one another.
I also learned this year that although I was told to stand off to the side when the actual clock stuck twelve, when your partner in crime bends down and hands in a flurry are above your head, abort the initial post and put all hands out to help. It would be tragic to have a man down at the first stop!
I haven't had much experience but I do have a request, why was there not a Dunkin' Doughnuts open anywhere the entire night?! Next year I'm going to have to pack my own thermos full of coffee that way I'm not deliriously falling asleep between stores!
That's all for today. This year's Black Friday wasn't the greatest, but I have high hopes for next year!
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
I've been stuck in this funk. For a while there I was finding something to blog about every day but now it's just, well kinda normal. I think I'm going to use the Molly and Aly idea that I've seen on Amber's blog. Maybe this will help snap me outta my blog funk.
My gym stuff just keeps plugging along, I've gotten to 4 miles but it's so darn cold that I'm going to have to acquire a snowsuit that is built for running... Classes are blah, just about to be finished and finals are straight ahead. Bran is out of town for a nerd conference so maybe that's where this blah-ness is coming from...
Anywho onto the challenge...
Day 1 is Christmas Holiday Traditions
- Advent Boxes: Back when I was a wee one my mom & dad created these boxes out of beer boxes. Mom covered them with gift bags, and every day we get to punch a hole that's numbered and get a present. Today I got a new work out shirt ;) I've passed the tradition on and my boyfriend now gets a box every year
- Christmas Photo: Every year my brothers and I have a theme that initially used to be decided by my mother, and is now decided by us. One year it was us on a surfboard, the next we all wore white wife beaters (I hate that they are called that) and stood all tough like in back of Dad's truck. It's a great tradition and so funny to look back on.
- Santa Gifts: Apparently I didn't know this was a tradition for our family in particular, but our Santa Gifts are always unwrapped. They are hand-delivered down the Chimney from the rosy man himself, and obviously they are such cool gifts that they can't be wrapped. They themselves hold the OOOOO factor of Christmas and this will be a tradition I pass down as well!
Well that did make me feel better! Happy December!