- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint or almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- Red food coloring
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
3. Then add the egg and extracts. Beat until smooth.
4. Add in salt and then stir in the flour, beating on low speed just until the flour is blended.
5. Divide the cookie dough in half. Take one half of the dough and knead red food coloring into it until the dough is tinted red.
6. To assemble each cookie: Take one rounded teaspoon of red dough & one rounded teaspoon of white dough and roll each into a ball.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-inch long rope. Place 1 red and 1 white rope side by side on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the 2 ropes together lightly, twist them together, and then curve the top of the cookie down to form the handle of a candy cane.
8. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. Immediately after taking them out of the oven, sprinkle the cookies with the granulated sugar. Cool slightly on the pan, and then remove them from the cookie sheet to cool completely.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies
Courtesy of Christine's Cuisine